Sunday, July 17, 2011

The things a toddler comes up with...

I have a few funny Rea stories to share. I love talking to her and following along on her train of thought, though sometimes I don't know how the tracks are connected. The things she says crack me up all the time.

Story 1:

Shane and I are wildly addicted to True Blood. I read the books and watch the show; Shane just watches the show, although once this season ends, he might actually read it. =)
Anyway, we have been catching up to date on the episodes because we hopped on this bandwagon LONG after most people. So one night, while Shane was bathing Ri, Rea and I headed off to Blockbuster to pick up the next 2 disks in season 2.
The whole time Rea was asking questions about the show. She wanted to know what it was about, if she could watch it, if it was scary, if vampires are mean or nice... the usual barrage of 3 year old questioning. And I answered them as best I could considering my audience.
On our way out to the car, Rea was carrying the videos for me, the following conversation happened:
Rea: Why can't I watch this show?
Me: It is not appropriate for a little kid.
Rea: I could go in my playroom so you and Dad can watch it.
Me: Thanks for the offer, but we will wait till you go to bed.
Rea: So I can watch it when I get big?
Me: Yes.
Rea: You know mom, I am pretty tall.
Me: True, but you are still only 3. You have to be years older, not just taller.
Rea: Oh.     So, like when I am 8 I can watch it.
Me: I was thinking more like when you can drive a car.
Rea: Ooooohhhh. When I can drive a car.... (this takes about 20 seconds to sink in)... Well, you know Mom, I can drive an airplane.
Grandpa's copilot


Story 2:

This morning during worship service, Rea's friend B sat with us. They played pretty well together. Then just before the offering, B went back to his family. A few seconds later he returned with some coins for Rea.
After the Lord's Supper and offering were over, B came back over, looked at Rea and whispered, "I love you Rea."
She simply blank stared back at him. Then about 15 seconds later she turned to me, shook her head back and forth, laughed and said, "Ugh, boys are SO silly."
Rea and B - Easter 2010


Story 3:

Rea and I have been practicing some useful phrases in Spanish and French recently.

She was just playing with her toys when I asked her to hand me something. She did. And I responded, "Merci beaucoup."
Without missing a beat, she said, "De nada." Then she laughed and said, "Ha! I just answered you in Spanish."
I didn't know what pic to put here... Rea told me she wants to speak Spanish because of Juav, so there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment