Monday, December 15, 2014

Where Do Babies Come From?

It's one of those conversations that you know, as a parent, you’re going to have to have. Someday, some kid is going to ask. And you have to respond. 

Well for me that day was earlier this week. And the child was Buddy. 

I had been home from the hospital for maybe one day. I was in the kitchen doing the dishes. He was sitting at the kitchen table coloring and telling a crazy story. Every single thing that Buddy does comes complete with an intricate tale. This time was no different. 

“Mom, where do babies come from?”

I freeze. Hmm. How should I respond to my almost 5 year old? 

“Well, Mommies and Daddies make babies.”

Buddy thinks about this for a minute. “That’s crazy. How?”

Moment of truth. 

I say, “Well, that’s how God set it up Bud. I’ll explain the details when you’re older.”

He accepted this. “Ok. Well, I would like a brother. Can you make me one?”

“No, sorry Buddy. Mommies and Daddies have to want to make a baby at the same time... and your Mommy and Daddy do not want that right now.”

Buddy looked a bit disappointed. Then after a minute asked, “Is there like a store we could go to and just buy a baby brother?”

I chuckled and said that sadly there is no such store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment