Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

For as long as I can remember, I have dreaded my 30th birthday. It was always a symbol of being old, way past cool, might as well be dead. Shane turned 30 a few years ago. I threw a great party for him. I mailed out invitations for people to come "mourn the loss of Shane's youth." Everyone came dressed in black. The food was themed. We even served drinks from a coffin. It was awesome.

But the thought of me turning 30 has never really sat well with me. There is no way to pretend to be young. I past the point of really feeling young last year when Shane made me give up my Volvo SUV for a minivan. That was a major blow to my psyche.

Anyway, my amazing husband (and some pretty incredible friends) gave me the coolest, most awesome 30th birthday ever. We flew out to Denver to visit with some friends for a few child-less days.

There are plenty of funny stories from this trip... but honestly, I am too tired to relay them here. And some I don't think I will ever tell. =) But I am willing to share the pictures.

Shane's last healthy meal...

Yay Dan

Arrggg... Gotta love the Yo-hos!

The view from the 26th floor

Not a bad view... 

Steve, don't eat yellow snow!!

Can you believe it??? Snow in June!!

Hiking up to St Mary's Glacier

























Dead man on a pig??

Derrick and Shane

Steve and Dan




You must be jokin' with all them stairs... =)












Coors Field... from the living room


Birthday dinner at Texas de Brazil

The picture of how we all felt after 2 hours of stuffing our faces!

Happy birthday to me! (Too full to eat it though)

Not going to explain this one...










Steve and Dan at Snooze (amazing breakfast joint)

... of course by the time we got there it was noonish.

At the airport, ready to see our babies!


Some important shout-outs:

Shane - You rock. I love you more each day (and after 50 yrs together, that adds up to a lot). I am so grateful for this awesome birthday trip. There isn't anyone else I would rather be with on one of the most painful days of my life. =)

Steve, Dan & Derrick - You guys are my hysterical, gas-filled, disgusting brothers.... and it was wonderful (though at times horrifying) to spend the weekend with you. Thanks for making this birthday the best I have ever had.

Jim - Too bad you missed it. I still love you. I know you were there in spirit.

Mom, Dad, Linda & Scott - Thanks for taking such great care of the kids. Shane and I were never worried about whether they were having fun or not. We appreciate your willingness to let us scoot away for the weekend. I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment