Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Terrible Trend

Last night another police officer was killed (St. Pete). I don't think we have made it a week without the death of at least one officer since this year began. As the wife of an officer, I am greatly disturbed by this trend.

Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions? If you screw up, know that somewhere, at sometime, you are going to get caught... deal with it! What is that old adage?-- If you can do the crime, you can do the time. (Actually, I think this should apply for more than actual crimes, but that's an entirely different blog.) I don't think I will ever understand the idea that it is acceptable to attack the police when they come for you. They are here to serve and protect, why can't we appreciate that?
Ok, so you commit crimes... I get it, appreciating the officer's job is probably not going to happen. But, what about the families left behind?
I think most of the FL officers killed this year left behind a spouse and children. Police wives (and husbands) understand that there are some concessions we have to make in order for our spouses to have a successful career: attendance at holidays is never a guarantee, meals will be interrupted for a phone call, kids' recitals will be missed. And the worse "difficulty" of all is that spouse might leave for the day and never return.

I don't really know where I am going with this entry. I just needed to get some thoughts off my chest. It has upset me to hear how many families have been destroyed by this new trend. At the same time, I am grateful every night when my husband walks through the door. And I respect and love all of the people who risk their lives everyday for my friends and family. Thank you for all you do.

1 comment: