Monday, September 5, 2011

I take it back...

Literally last week I was thinking about how awesome my kids are.

A lot of my friends have complained (in person and on Facebook) about the Terrible 3s or 2s. And yes, there have been days when Rea resembled an alien satanic spawn more than a small human. But for the most part, I really like the toddler age. She is still small but has the capability of holding legit conversations (these days they primarily center on Harry Potter and Michael Jackson). She can clearly express her needs and desires, but she isn't a hormonal teenager.

It goes without saying that I have loved being a Mom every single day, but I think I really prefer the speaking toddler years to the whiney, babbling little baby age. Ri seems to have turned the corner into awesome this past week. He is trying hard to say real words. His real human vocabulary has easily doubled in the past week. And soon he will be able to carry on full-fledged chat sessions with me and Rea.

The past few weeks have been wonderful. The kids and I have been in a great routine (except for the hospital). Rea and Ri play together more now than they ever have. Ri will go play by himself for a little while and let Rea and I bond over things like The Goblet of Fire or the SIMS 3. The point is that we have had almost no meltdowns. None to speak of anyway.

Our golden streak ended yesterday.

Sunday started with church. We all woke up pretty happy and normal. Headed off to Bible class and worship service. Then it was off to lunch with my dad and sister.

Lunch was a mild disaster. We ordered the kids' food right away, as is our typical restaurant custom. They ate. I thought the mini-meltdown in the car was just the hunger talking. I was wrong. It was the prelude to the Broadway musical later.

I don't really know what happened to my sweet girl. She disappeared yesterday.

On the other hand, Ri napped. He has been transitioning out of this... it is definitely no longer a daily event. Generally though, it doesn't negatively effect his attitude until around dinnertime. And then we just do dinner, bath and bed. It works.

Well, Ri's 2-ish hour nap yesterday really destroyed things. Although I appreciated only dealing with one monster at a time, it seems to have prolonged the number of hours I have had to deal with monsters. Blah.

Rea was totally asleep by 7:45pm. Nice. Ri, not so much. He was down around 9pm. But then he woke up at 3am. FOR THE DAY.    Uh, Mommy don't think so. But Ri was determined. I tried rocking him. That didn't work. He wouldn't stop jibber jabbering. So I thought I would let he scream it out for a while. I could only stand this for 25 minutes (I know, I am a spineless jellyfish). Then I rocked him for another 45-ish minutes. Finally, we went to lay in Rea's bed (she was in my bed long before this). And at 4:30am, Ri was asleep. Success was short lived.

Shane was up at 5 for work. Rea woke up a few minutes later and came to wake us.

So, here we are. Freakishly early and up. I am partly through a HUGE pot of coffee and could still pass out if given more than 5 seconds of rest. We have almost finished watching Toy Story 2 when Rea looked out the window and said, "Wow Mom. It's still really dark. Why?"


Ri at church... looks stylish

Ri and his friend W at church


No comments:

Post a Comment