Saturday, July 7, 2012

Our Trip to St Augustine

My sister-in-law's family vacations every year from Nashville to St Augustine. They spend a week or two doing what Florida tourists do best, laying on the beach soaking up the UV rays. Apparently you must go back to your home state with tan lines (or tomato lines, if you are fair skinned) or some people will have considered your trip to FL a complete waste.

The other Stus and Leds just like to be on the beach... I guess it's since they are landlocked most of the year. My StuCrew does not take advantage nearly enough of our proximity to the Atlantic - as I am sure you have noticed. 

This year, the Leds and Nashville Stus invited my StuCrew to come up to St Augustine for a day or two. We went. Honestly, I wasn't sure how the trip would be. Rea was still in a cast so I was thinking the beach would not be super fun for her. Then as our departure date/time grew closer, there was that pesky Tropical Storm Debby to contend with. Debby was dumping rain down by the bucket-load all over the state. And it seemed she gave an extra shot of rain to the St Augustine/Jacksonville area. 

Our awesome little traveler
 Side Note for Jack & Steph: Ri played on the iPad for most of the car ride, like he usually does. And exactly 2.5 hours into the drive, he looked up, looked out the windows and said, "Where are the Monorails?? Where are the Monorails?"
Rea was SO tired, but she wouldn't give in and nap. 

Toward the end, she perked up. A little. 

Doesn't he look simply angelic?

Rea & Shay

Hay & Ri

Thanks for the elephant puppet Shay! 

The boys are trying to find a break in the clouds. 

Naturally, the Nashville Stu kids were pretty bummed about the indoor weather conditions. My Stus really didn't seem to even notice the rain. It rains A LOT in the summer here and sometimes we are forced indoors. It was either that or they are too young and were around the cousins they haven't seen in almost a year. 

Since the beach was a bust, the grown ups thought it would be fun to pile all the mini Stus into the car and check out Old St Augustine. It's the oldest town in the continental US and there is a cool old Fort as well as the oldest wooden schoolhouse. We lucked out weather-wise too. The clouds parted and the sun shown down on us the entire time we walked around the old town.

It was not a quiet ride to Old St Augustine

I love old cemeteries... there's something so beautiful about them.

I was a little bummed I couldn't go in and walk around. 





See, I told 'ya.


I just adore this. Didn't buy it, but it's undeniably funny. 

I did buy this. Will let you know my thoughts when I get around to reading it. 

Daddy Stu & Little Stu - 2 of my loves

The old street in St Augustine - I tried to imagine people walking through here 200+ years ago. 

The Brothers Stu head to the Fort

Stu munchkins atop the Fort... 

I think this was the best group shot









Shane and I went to dinner with Scotty & Al. Al's parents graciously offered to babysit for us. And they actually said our kids were well-behaved and little joys -- not sure if they really meant that, but I'll take it. =) 

The next morning when we woke up in our hotel room, something seemed off with Ri. He was a lethargic blob. He never sat up and never got off the bed. He didn't even play with the iPad laying next to him. He was perfectly still when Shane dressed him. And my Mom spidey sense told me that he had a low-grade temp. 

When we arrived at the TN Stus & Leds' place on the beach, Ri took a few bites of banana. Then threw it all up. He was acting very strange. I have never seen him so limp and lifeless. It was scary. 




After he threw up for the 2nd time, I told Shane we needed to cut the trip short and head home. I wanted to be closer to our doc and our hospital if he got any worse. He stayed blobbish until we got home and he took a 4 hour nap with Shane. 

Freaky. Still not sure what was ailing him. We went to the doc's office a few days later to get cleared for flying (a soon-to-come entry) and the doc said he was fine. And he has been totally fine in July (knock on wood).

Anyway, thanks so much for allowing us to come crash your family vacay Nashville Stus! And thank you Leds for everything! You guys are wonderful and we love all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment