Monday, October 15, 2012

Soccer - Epic Fail

You might not believe me... looking at me now... but back in the day, I used to play soccer. I even did a stint as a high school JV coach too! It has been many years. And I was never what you might call "remotely good". That's not the point.

The point is that I love it. It's fun. I have always fancied myself as a soccer person.

In the same breath though, I should point out that I'm American. So I only ever watch the World Cup.

Anywho... I digress. This is not at all what I wanted to blog about.

My lovely, super adorable Rea. She has power-house legs. When she's pissed and decides to kick you, WATCH OUT! So the opportunity to sign her up for soccer arose, and I pounced. Not only is one of the coaches the parent of a friend of hers, but about 1/3 of all of the kids from her grade at school were signing up too. How perfect!

Not exactly.

At first it all went according to my plan. She was excited to spend my money at Sports Authority on all of the necessary soccer gear and garb. She even had a blast kicking the ball around with me in the yard a few afternoons. The night of the big tryouts went well too. She took off onto the field and listened attentively to all of the coaches and followed their directions.

I was so proud.

Then came the first (and I think only) official practice with her team. It was on a Saturday morning. It was a mild to moderate disaster for Rea. She decided right then and there that she did not like soccer. Not even a little bit. Although you can't tell from the photos. =)












Then the games started ... we are not terribly successful. But when the entire team with the exception of 2 kids are 4 years old, what else did we honestly expect? At least most of the kiddos are having fun. Not mine, she complains, throws huge fits at home with me about even getting dressed to go. This is why "Go to soccer" is on her "Chore Chart".



















Love this... Ri & C chillin' while their older siblings play.



One night game, when Shane was actually able to join us, Rea never left the bench. Shane took over my duty as Bench Mom and Rea parked her little booty next to her Daddy and never left his side. Now I know you might be reading this thinking "awww, that's so sweet." And probably it was a little.... but I am horrified to admit that I was that terrible stage mom (worse than those idiots on Toddlers and Tiaras). I marched over to the bench and kind of lost it with her. I know, hand over the award for Worst Parent of the Year. Oh well, I can't do anything about it now. Even as it was happening, I was thinking, "What the heck is wrong with me?? Why am I doing this? Who am I?"

The next game I was remarkably chill. I just sat on the blanket with my friends and watched the game. Rea actually played. She told me after the game that she stills "hates soccer", but at least she played, right? I thought maybe we were going to turn a new leaf... It was short lived. She missed the next game entirely because of a meltdown about soccer at the house.

I honestly don't know if we will finish the season. I think we are going to give it another game or two and then call it. Perhaps she isn't ready for team sports yet. I might have to prepare myself for the fact that she may never like soccer. Hmm. Only time will tell.

Don't worry. I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment