Monday, May 2, 2011

A Pair of Fallen Apples

Several times over the past year or so I have briefly thought about writing a blog. But honestly, I didn't really understand the point. I mean, I am not trying to sell you anything, I am not an expert at anything (yet). I really wasn't sure what I would write about... or even if I would write at all. Then I started paying attention to all the funny/stupid/ridiculous things I see/hear/do and I thought it might be fun to write about those things. After all, Stupid makes the world go 'round. And laughter really is the best medicine. 

Now that I had my topic, I had to pick an audience (English nerds will love this). I decided to be laser-specific. I started, and continue to write for my two sisters. One is completely stubborn and refuses to join Facebook. (<-- there's a link to it J, in case you want it) The other sister is still a college student. Neither one lives at home, and both are very busy and lead crazy lives of their own. Point is: we don't speak on the phone as often as some families may. So, the genius in me said, "If you write a blog, they will read it." 

I know others now read my blog, but I still write with the purpose of Jack and Steph reading the entries. And this entry (and probably the next few) is kind of difficult to write. My audience was actually present for all of this! None of it is new.

Steph just turned 21. So Jack and I took her to Disney (like there was ever any other location contender). We took her to her favorite restaurant on property. I think we were at our table laughing and eating for almost 2 hours. And of course the conversation turned to our parents. We were discussing the characteristics that we each inherited from each parent. Here's the simple breakdown:

From Mom, I got my incessant need to confess. I never realized that my mom does this. But I know for a fact that I do. It's like a physical compulsion for me. And some of the things I feel that I have to disclose are bizarre and would probably not hurt anyone to never know. Example: On my wedding video, before the ceremony the videographer asks me if I am nervous. I say, with a dazed look on my face, "No, not at all." Then immediately I spit out, "That's a lie actually." Apparently Jack is not completely immune. She confessed that she forgot to include vanilla extract in the cake icing. The cake was delicious, we never would have known an ingredient was MIA. 
The cake (sans vanilla) sports a lazy man's 21.

The conversation went on. We were laughing and talking about our parents and all of our strange quirks. Then the server brought Steph's birthday dessert. A strawberry shortcake. 

Steph looks at it and says, "You guys have to help me with this." Jack and I, at the exact same moment, reach out and scoop up the whip cream and eat it. Then we both say, "Dad!" That definitely came from him! His epitaph is going to say, "Are you gonna eat all that?" He is notorious for finishing off the rest of the table's food. I think that's why he likes PF Changs so much... it's the one place where it is socially acceptable to eat everything that was ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment