Friday, March 25, 2011

Dentist Appointment

The last time I was at my dentist's office I asked about bringing Rea in for her first check-up/cleaning. Carrie, my hygienist, told me just to bring her with me the next time I was scheduled to come. It would be better if she could hang out and watch first.

I picked Rea up from her grandma's house (and left Ri there because he was sleeping). She was jabbering incessantly in the car on the way there. She talked about everything, just for the sake of speaking. Then, without warning, it was totally silent.
Yup, Rea fell asleep in the middle of licking her lollipop (and yes, I did give her candy on the way to the dentist). I had such a hard time not laughing out loud at this ~ A mid-lick pass out!

Actually, it bothered me a little that she fell asleep. Rea doesn't typically wake up well. I was afraid that she would be super whiney and uncooperative. And sometimes she is not a fan of doctor's offices. A cold sweat broke out, oh this could be bad.

I sat in the chair for my cleaning. Carrie let Rea sit at her desk. Rea played a game and read a book on her Nook (it's a V-tech Reader, but she calls it her Nook). When it came time to actually brush my teeth, Rea came over and stood next to me. Carrie talked to her about the kind of special toothbrush they use at the dentist.

After my cleaning, Carrie asked if Rea wanted to look at the special toothbrush and feel it on her finger so when Rea came back for her cleaning, she would know there was nothing to worry about. Rea said ok. Carrie was great! She made the whole thing playful for Rea... They were laughing about how "tickley" the brush is. Then Carrie told Rea about all of the special toothpaste selections kids have. Rea liked the idea of marshmallow toothpaste (who doesn't?).

Carrie asked Rea if she wanted to put the marshmallow toothpaste on the brush and just test her front teeth. Rea said yes. She did, and Rea giggled about the tickley toothbrush.

Then Carrie told Rea that this would be what it is like when she comes back for her appointment... or she could sit in the chair and do it now. It was up to Rea.

Strike when the iron is hot, right? Rea went for it. She was amazing!

I thought once she sat in the chair she would panic, but she didn't.
"I'm a big girl, right Mom?"
She is actually laughing at "Mr. Thirsty"
Rea wanted to get flossed too, just like Mommy.
The day was a HUGE success! I am so grateful for Carrie... she was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment