Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Huge Day for Rea

In order to fully understand my daughter's excitement, we have to back up over a year.


Summer 2009

Shane and I found out we were going to have our second child in early 2010. Baby McStu #2 was due on 2-22. I knew before the summer was over that McStu #2 was going to be a boy. So Shane and I started narrowing down our boy names. We settled on Riley Cooper Studer...

Then football season began.

If you watched any college football in 2009, you probably have heard of these two guys: Tim Tebow and his roommate Riley Cooper. Well, we don't need to say anything about Tebow's year, but Cooper had a pretty good year too.

Shane and I really struggled with the name. We chose it before the season started, but no one would believe that. Everyone who knows us would think that I gave in to my Gator husband and let him name our child. The week before our Riley was born we switched his middle name. It's close to Cooper (I don't think it appropriate to share too much personal info about my kids on the web, so I won't spell it out now).

As our lives changed dramatically over the following year, my husband and some of our friends at Palm Beach Autographs told the real Riley Cooper about our little RC.

The important thing to note here is that Rea has heard the name Riley Cooper over and over in various circumstances over the past 2 years.


Yesterday (Saturday, March 19, 2011)

Rea woke up in the morning very much like normal: demanding her "chocolatey milk". Our entire family bummed around for a little while in the early morning hours. When it was finally time to get moving, Rea (who usually fights getting dressed and ready) ran up the stairs to search her closet for the perfect outfit.

She said she needed to wear her pretty green dress because Riley Cooper was going to think she looked beautiful. (oh boy) I assured her that she did look so cute in the new dress. I mentioned that her hair was a hot mess and I needed to brush and fix it. She said, "Let's go get it cut. The haircutter can fix my hair and make it beautiful for Riley Cooper." (oh boy) As I was brushing her hair, she said "Does Riley Cooper have a girlfriend?" I said, "I have no idea." She said, "I am going to ask him." (oy)

So, it was decided that Rea would get her first official haircut! Yay! There is this adorable kid place in Downtown @ The Gardens called Cartoon Cuts. It is FABULOUS. Plus it is right by Uncle Jim, Uncle Steve and Uncle Danny's store.







Rea was a pro. She hardly freaked at all. And she was so proud of how she looked when it was over.

Little bro spent most of the afternoon at Grandma's house. Grandma was going to bring him over later.

My best friend Ash was in town for the day. We almost never see her anymore. Rea calls her Pete - It's a long story, don't ask. Anyway, Pete and Rea were having a blast together. They ran all over Downtown. And they were off somewhere when Riley Cooper arrived. I told him all about Rea's excitement, explaining that she is only 3 and probably has no real idea who he is, but that she is over the moon ecstatic regardless.

When Rea saw Cooper for the first time, we were in the private room with all the food. He was talking to someone else, but as soon as he saw her, he smiled and waved. She stood in complete awe. Then he came to introduce himself to her. He held out his hand and she walked over with arms wide open. He bent down and hugged her back.

Riley asked Rea if she would show him where to go. She said she would lead him to the stage. When they got to the area designated for the signings, he asked her to sit next to him and help him sign autographs. She said ok. =) But she didn't last very long at the table. A few people in, she got up and walked off the stage.

I cannot even explain in words how happy this made me. It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. Riley's kindness to my daughter makes me love him. I think I have to become an Eagle now.









No comments:

Post a Comment